Please note: The legal options and laws outlined below provide general information only. VRLC attorneys provide legal assistance to individual sexual assault survivors with housing legal needs related to the assault in Massachusetts and Oregon.

For individual legal advice in Massachusetts, please call us at (617) 399-6720 x19.
For individual legal advice in Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties, Oregon please call us at (503) 274-5477 x6.

A sexual assault can destabilize a survivor’s living situation. At the Victim Rights Law Center, our attorneys work with survivors in Massachusetts and Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties, Oregon in both public and private housing to secure the most effective legal remedies available. 

Victims in public or subsidized housing may be able to:

  • Transfer to a safer facility
  • Request a safety priority in housing
  • Request a resonable accommodation
  • Terminate a lease early with a local housing authority
  • Request a lock change
  • Obtain a private no trespass order through the landlord

Victims in private housing may be able to:

  • Negotiate with a landlord to modify the terms of a lease agreement
  • Terminate their lease early
  • Request a lock change
  • Request a reasonable accommodation
  • Obtain a private no trespass order through the landlord

Please click here for information on Massachusetts Lock Changing Provisions.

Please click here for Surviving Sexual Violence on the Streets: A know-your-rights film for women experiencing homelessness

Our attorneys will work with sexual assault survivors in Massachusetts and Oregon to analyze their situations and determine what housing remedies, if any, best suit their particular needs. If you are a victim or an advocate and have specific questions or concerns about any of these housing issues in Massachusetts or Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties, Oregon, you can contact us.